Combos: Winning combinations
Stable Combos: Winning combos that only require covering on the last beat. There are basically only two winning combos in 4 v 4 team racing: 1, 2, 3, x and 2, 3, 4, x
Unstable Combos: Winning combos that require passbacks to become stable combos.
Team Racing Starts:
Geographical: 1, windward end, 2 middle windward end, 3 middle leeward end, 4, leeward end.
Pull Position: Leading an opponent into the start, sailing low to sucker opponent to windward but not sailing so low as to be late.
Push Position: Following opponent into start, sailing low to get to leeward or to force opponent to be early or late.
Dialing Up, Dialing Down: Changing course while aiming at your opponent on the opposite tack to force them away since 16.2 does not apply before the start.
Pick: Using r-o-w to force an opponent away from your teammate. First beat tactics:
Pairs: One boat from each team sailing near each other. Usually one boat is leading the pair while covering.
Breaking Ties: Tacking on an opponent in a tied pair so your teammate can lead that pair.
Conversions: As the fleet converges on the first mark, turning two or three pairs into a combo.
Hi-Lo: Two teammates attack the opponent ahead by having the lead teammate sail high, causing the opponent to sail high to defend while the trailing teammate sails low to pass or, at least gain an overlap on the opponent.
Hooking: Really a match racing term; acquiring luffing rights on an opponent.
Pass Back Mark Trap: Maneuver against an opponent at a mark until your teammate passes.
Compression Mark Trap: Maneuver against two or more opponents until your teammates catch up.
Last Windward Leg Tactics:
Pass Back (slow): Take the wind of an opponent continuously by blanketing that opponent while slowing yourself down until your teammate passes.
Ragging Jib: Letting the jib luff to slow down in order to aim your mainsail windshadow on the slowing opponent.
Windward Trim: Trimming the jib (and/or main) all the way to windward to slow down while increasing your windshadow.
Speed Passback: Momentarily blanketing an opponent without slowing yourself down which is hopefully just enough for your teammate to pass your opponent.
7-8 Passback: In 4 v 4 team racing, 7 and 8 automatically loses. If a team is not in a stable combination by the leeward mark, they will often attempt to put boats from the other team in 7th and 8th place. Often times, both teams try to execute this strategy at the same time.
Windward Leg Double Team Jargon:
Front Door: Teammate that blankets opponent and prevents opponent from sailing out to leeward and ahead.
Back Door: Teammate that prevents opponent from tacking.
Ladder Rungs: Lines of position on a windward leg perpendicular to the wind direction.
Lanes: Tacking lanes parallel to the wind direction. Different from closehauled lanes (diagonal) in a fleet race.
Pinning: Preventing an opponent from tacking toward the finish. Carries a high risk of fouling or otherwise losing tthe opponent.
courtesy of Ken Legler
The Last 30 Posts
- IT’S BALDWIN CUP TIME! - February 16, 2017 - 0 comments
- 2016 Friday Recap - April 10, 2016 - 0 comments
- THUNDER THREE-PEATS! - April 10, 2016 - 0 comments
- Saturday in Short: Nasty for Newport, but we sail on! - April 9, 2016 - 0 comments
- Friday at Baldwin Kicks Things Off! - April 9, 2016 - 0 comments
- Back in Plaid: Seattle - April 7, 2016 - 0 comments
- Seawanhaka Corinthian - April 7, 2016 - 0 comments
- Your 2016 NHYC Teams!! - April 6, 2016 - 0 comments
- San Diego Yacht Club - April 5, 2016 - 1 comments
- The Brits are Back! - April 5, 2016 - 0 comments
- Southern Yacht Club - April 4, 2016 - 0 comments
- Boys from the Bay: St. Francis - April 4, 2016 - 0 comments
- The Bulldogs: Yale Corinthian - March 31, 2016 - 0 comments
- Time to meet the teams! - March 30, 2016 - 0 comments
- JPMorgan Chase Teams Up with The Baldwin Cup - March 23, 2016 - 0 comments
- They are the Champions! - March 16, 2016 - 0 comments
- Why YOU should come to Baldwin! - March 9, 2016 - 0 comments
- Volunteers Make it Happen! - March 2, 2016 - 0 comments
- Announcing the 2016 Teams! - January 18, 2016 - 0 comments
- Baldwin Cup Impressions - April 14, 2015 - 0 comments
- 2015 Baldwin Wrap Up Video - April 13, 2015 - 0 comments
- NHYC Thunder Wins the 2015 Baldwin Cup! - April 12, 2015 - 0 comments
- FINALS! Thunder vs Larchmont - April 12, 2015 - 3 comments
- On the to the Semis! - April 12, 2015 - 0 comments
- Racing Coverage: Lightning vs. Larchmont - April 12, 2015 - 0 comments
- Racing Coverage: NHYC Thunder vs. Southern - April 12, 2015 - 0 comments
- Saturday Video Highlights! - April 12, 2015 - 0 comments
- The Battle for The Cup continues… - April 11, 2015 - 0 comments
- Friday Highlights and Video Recap! - April 11, 2015 - 0 comments
- Lightning Strike! - April 10, 2015 - 0 comments